Sunday, September 11, 2016

Bangkok 2016


In June, I logged my first trip to Bangkok for 2016.  I usually would have done at least 1 by now but unfortunately the event that had been set for March was cancelled.  This trip was a bit special; it was all about bucket lists.   In all my trips here, this is the first time I stayed on and took advantage of being in Bangkok, the perfect hub to many countries I haven’t been to yet… but more on that later.  

We tried out a new business hotel, AVANI Riverside Bangkok.  The pool and rooftop bar were the highlights (although I only got to spend an hour at the pool).


I did get some free time on this trip so I finally had afternoon tea at the Author’s Lounge at the Mandarin Oriental.  For literary lovers, the Author’s Lounge will have you absolutely entranced.  It’s in the original building of the Mandarin Oriental hotel built in the 1870’s and was recently refurbished, keeping many of the original features (glass roof).  There are suites named after the writers that were once guests in this wing: Noel Coward, James Michener, Somerset Maugham and Joseph Conrad.  The walls are decorated with quotes and photos of Thailand from the days passed.  Even if you don’t have afternoon tea here, I recommend you come for a look around – the hotel is absolutely gorgeous (the lobby changes every time I pop my head in for a visit).
Mandarin Oriental lobby

The Author's Lounge 

We opted for 1 Western set and 1 Thai set to share.  We selected tea based our hostess’ recommendation of Le Grande Dame (140th anniversary special blend) and The Blanc Oriental.





Thai set
Western set

I was also thrilled to find our scones served with rose petal jam.  Short story is, I brought back a jar with me from Hong Kong and hid it in the back of the fridge.  MrH discovered it and within a week it was gone!  I have no plans to head to Hong Kong in the near future so I thought it was a lost cause but here it was!  In Bangkok, they jar it for you on request so I placed an order straight away and came back later that evening to pick it up.  Oh happy days!      
I love this quote.
I also ate some yummy Thai (and Japanese ) food and squeezed in 2 foot massages (new place!) = success. 
Heaven.
I am not 100% when my next Bangkok trip will be due some company reorganising but I hope it will be soon.  (Sad note of “see you later” to our MedEd team  as it was – boo!) In the meantime, I will be dreaming of a Mango Frostie…   
Last selfie - miss these faces!

No comments:

Post a Comment