Thursday, September 27, 2012

I Left My Heart in San Francisco

I've said it before but San Francisco is one of the most beautiful cities in the world (and for the record, so is Sydney!).  It really is breath-taking to be a tourist here.  When you live in the city, you take things for granted with the excuse "oh, I can ride a cable car anytime" but the reality is, you don't.  I am guilty of it both then (San Francisco) and now (Sydney).  It was really fun experiencing San Francisco as a tourist over a few days, and also through the eyes of a 3 year old who was in awe of everything!  (By the way, this is such a fun age for these things)

Ghirardelli Chocolate Festival
The Chocolate Festival has expanded since the last time I've been!  Back then it was small, held inside Ghirardelli Square and if you won the ice cream eating contest (the Earthquake: )you won your weight in chocolate!  Now it's along the waterfront and $20 buys you 15 samples of chocolate bites from chocolate vodka shots to chocolate cupcakes.  We saved our $20 and opted for sundaes in the Ghirardelli Soda Fountain.
Angie and Me plus E's

Enjoying the sunshine and sailboats along the waterfront

MissE with our sundaes!
*Note: I was worried about MissE eating too much ice cream but it was Mr.E who proved the light-weight and tossed his cookies ice cream when we got home.

Cable Car, Fisherman's Wharf and Trolley, Oh My!
"The clangor of the coming and going comprised a contrapuntal symphony of cosmopolis"

Powell & Market
 MissE and I had a Girl's Day Out to ride a cable car! We started at Powell St in a not-too-bad queue. MissE was a bit worried she would fall off the seat but eventually relaxed to enjoy the hills and turns en route to Fisherman's Wharf.
On a cable car at the top of Lombard Street

We had lunch at Boudin's and watched the bakers make the crab and teddy bear shaped sourdough then watched the sea lions for a good 30 minutes. Exploring Pier 39, MissE rode on the 2 story carasole and was even happier when it played Ariel's Part of My World (she is still Disney Princess obsessed).
Crabby at Boudin's

Sea lions!

The Rock

Carousel

San Francisco skyline

1940's F-line trolley
We headed back to Union Square via the F-line trolley and home via Bart.

Any time we explored a museum with my sister, she would ask everyone what their favorite thing of the day was.  It was fun to hear what the kids chose and also helped them remember the things we did and saw during the day.  I continued this even when we were on our own.  MissE's favorite was going up and down the hills in the cable car.  And mine?  Well, I finally got to stand on the ledge of the cable car!

Ferry Building Farmer's Market
We picked a gorgeous day for visiting the Farmer's Market. Being a week day, we could walk around at our leisure and slowly decide what to eat for lunch (Golden Gate Meat Company, chocolate cannoli and a pumpkin cupcake from Mariposa Bakery) and easily found a bench overlooking the Bay to eat!


Embarcadero Fountain & The Ferry Building
Ferry Plaza Farmer's Market
To infinity and beyond!
We ended the day by driving through Chinatown. They just happened to be setting up lanterns for the August Moon Festival.

1 comment:

  1. Great photos, and I agree. I didn't appreciate the city nearly as much as I did when I lived in the area, but going back as a tourist is awesome!

    ReplyDelete