Monday, September 3, 2012

Children's Fairyland Oakland

Children's Fairyland
Once upon a time...

There was a magical place called Children's Fairyland!  According to the history of the park, this was the first storybook theme park.  It opened in 1950 and boasts Walt Disney visited and incorporated ideas from Fairyland in his “magic kingdom,” which opened in Anaheim in 1955.

We had such fun there, it was hard to get MissE to leave.  Mr.E liked sitting atop of Jack & Jill's Hill and MissE loved Alice in Wonderland Tunnel so much, we went 3 times!

Children's Fairyland entrance

Jack & Jill went up the hill



Down the rabbit hole! (Alice in Wonderland maze)
Off with her head!

Which way???
... and human hands!


And they lived happily ever after!

We finished our adventure with a late lunch at one of my favorite diners, Mel's Drive-In.  I have fond memories of the diner from childhood.  My dad used to take me there in his Mercedes convertible (top down, of course) and we would sit at the counter with our burgers and milkshakes.  I would also get to pick a song on the jukebox (usually The Lion Sleeps Tonight).  Fast-forward to 2012 and I still love their burgers (Patti Melt) and milkshakes... and I chose The Lion Sleeps Tonight too.

Chocolate milkshake... the RIGHT way!

MissE's grilled cheese & fries

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad Fairyland is still around and it looks like they kept it in good shape. Such a magical place that is a true classic and all-time favorite.

    ReplyDelete