Thursday, January 19, 2012

Sewing for Boys...

Self-Professed Craft Nerd post:

It's well known that girls' clothes are so much cuter than boys' clothes.  AND there is so much more to make for girls.  MissE can't have enough skirts and dresses in adorable Kawaii fabrics.  BUT one thing that is much more fun for boys are Bandana Bibs!  Yes, girls can wear them too BUT on little boys it adds that bit of flare and makes them less dinosaurs and trains and more haute cot-ture (see what I did there?).  Even better, these are so easy to make and don't require very much material at all!

Now the Drool Monster in your life will be the most stylish baby at the park!
Gorgeous retro fabric from a friend's grandmother's collection
Made for Cam on his 1st birthday
My drool monster wearing a retro Cowboys & Indians bandana bib
It's a bird, it's a plane, it's Super "E" 

Who said dolls were just for girls?  Growing up I had a mighty fine collection of Hot Wheels and Transformers, not to mention "Joe" (GI Joe).  There is a serious lack of market for boy dolls so I have been working on creating a very special doll for my little man and here is what I came up with:

Mask and cape: check!
I played with Prince E or Pirate E but decided Super "E" was the right fit for Mr.E (given his Halloween costume this year). 

I vow to never lose Sophie the Giraffe again
Recently the un-thinkable happened: The Two E's and I were out shopping, we stopped in a few stores and had a lovely lunch then it was time to go home.  I get to the car park when I realise that Mr.E no longer has Sophie the Giraffe.

Sophie is a must-have baby item.  I bought Sophie for MissE when she was a baby and recently she so kindly lent it to Mr.E (I was surprised she did!).  MissE got very upset when I asked her if she had seen where Sophie went.  We spent 45 minutes re-tracing our stops in the shopping centre but to no avail.  (I am sure who ever picked up Sophie claimed it as theirs immediately.  They are not cheap in Australia).

When we got home, she insisted on calling daddy at work to tell him that Sophie was lost and watched as I scoured eBay and Amazon to work out the cheapest replacement Sophie.  I am not a big eBay shopper.  I get very anxious over bidding but I am now checking out eBay!  I found a great supplier from France of Sophie the Giraffe.  They now sell her in a blister pack, making the price a bit cheaper and the supplier even offers free shipping.  It was also nice to tell Eloise that Sophie was coming on a plane from France where the Eiffel Tower is.

And a week and a half later, 2 black packages arrived (I bought 2, one for each E) and were given to Eloise.  She opened it, saw Sophie's leg and burst into tears from happiness!  I wish I had it on video!  But I did snap a photo of her, with tears in her eyes.
If you look closely, there are tears in her eyes!

I am determined not to lose Sophie (or any other toy for that matter) again.  I made this toy "sitter".  It was so easy it's laughable!  I also couldn't believe I almost paid $20 for one.


Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment