Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Disney Dream Day 3: Castaway Cay and Pirate Night

I am not fast - Baymax
I had this shirt made just for the 5K -
it was a big hit among my fellow runners
Today was the day!  I was ticking a bucket list item off my list (kinda): Castway 5K as part of RunDisney marathon and running events.  Look, we live nowhere near Disney so I will take what I can get!  I had an early start to hydrate as much as I could without needing to pee during the run (it was bottom of feet burning hot – yes, I had to put my burnt feet into running shoes).  I am not going to lie.  I was damn nervous.  I’ve never attempted to run in 92F heat and 94% humidity.  When it’s that hot in Australia, you exercise indoors in A/C or you just get a Slurpee and don’t.


Welcome to Castaway Cay!

Hi Minnie!
We were the first off the ship and had a 10 minute warm-up walking to the start line (Pelican Point).  Then we were off!  I had a good start but as I was rounding through The Loop of Fun my head started pounding.  I panicked a bit thinking I was going to faint on this loop but drank what water I had left in my bottle as I walked to the half way point.  I managed to pick-up to a run again down the airplane strip towards Serenity Bay… and kept going until I hit the beach.  Just kidding.  I turned around and came back through The Loop of Death, walking most of it this time.  I finished the last 1K running.  And voila, I got a medal for not passing out!


Now that I was still, my feet were throbbing.  Between my “expired” running shoes and the heat swelling my feet, I was in a world of hurt.  I made my way to the designated meeting place that MrH and I had agreed on.  They must have had a lie in because I was late and they weren’t there.  I grabbed some lounges in the shade and put my sore feet up.  As I was making my way into the water, I saw them!




We got ready for our Stingray Adventure.  I had done this with my sister in the Cayman’s and loved the experience.  We were split up into the groups and shown how to feed the rays.  The rays are trained to swim up a floating platform and eat off Mickey plates (of course!)  Poor MissE had a rogue fish bite her finger!  While she decided to stop feeding the rays after this, she did continue to snorkel.



This was MrE’s first time snorkelling and he did so well!

As Castaway Cay is Disney’s private island, everything (outside of alcohol and souvenirs) was included so we went to Cookies BBQ for lunch, stopping for a quick dance with Minnie.

We spent the rest of the day on the water slides at Pelican Plunge.


On the ship, MissE and I managed to ride the Aquaduck while MrE and MrH worked on the Midship Detective Agency The Case of the Stolen Show featuring The Muppets before our afternoon appointments.
Pirate bandannas were waiting for us when we got back to our stateroom
Tonight was Pirate Night and to make sure we were dressed for it, I had booked MissE and MrE into Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique which overnight had become The Pirates League.









We met Captain Hook and Smee before dinner.
We found Peter Pan looking for Tinkerbell near the elevators...
he must of been looking for my fairy dust!
Dinner was back at the Animator’s Palette with a swashbuckling menu. 






After we met the man himself, Captain Jack Sparrow!
Waiting for Captain Jack Sparrow


As the sun set, we were treated to a pirate show… or 2.The first show was Mickey's Pirates in the Caribbean, the family show, featuring Captain Hook and Smee taking over the Disney Dream. 


The latter show, Buccaneer Blast, featured the hunt for Captain Jack Sparrow and a fireworks show off the boat!  DCL is the ONLY cruise line that does this in  the world.  It’s nothing short of amazing. For a snippet, click here.  Then it was time to dance the night away at Club Pirate. 

Tonight, Cabanas was open for a late-night snack and dessert buffet.  We shared crepes from the DIY bar before heading to bed.

How cute are MrE's sheets?
Good night, monkey!


No comments:

Post a Comment