Wednesday, August 22, 2012

MissE's Magical Disney Adventure!


It's a right of passage for a child to get to go to Disneyland, particularly if you live close enough to it!  So we had a short visit to Mickey Mouse in mind from the start of planning our trip to the USA but we weren't sure if we should bring Pau-Pau to help entertain Eden or leave him.  In the end, we decided it wouldn't be fair to Mr.E to be trapped in a stroller most of the day and left him in the loving care of Pau-Pau and Gung-Gung.  And a very lucky MissE was treated to a magical adventure to Disneyland!

Credit Card Fraud
The day before was not a good day. After checking us in for our early flight on Sunday, I was trying to arrange our shuttle pick-up when my credit card was being declined. I thought it was strange so I checked my statement online and BAM! $1200+ charges to HP! I spent most of the morning trying to stop payments and close my account before any additional charges could be made. At the end of the day I did what I could but unfortunately had very little access money due to the claims I had filed. Not a great thing to happen before a trip!
I rarely shop online because I am paranoid about credit card fraud (it seems to happen to me every year!) and now I am even more paranoid about letting my credit card leave my sight!

Who Needs Sleep when Mickey is waiting for us!
With very little sleep due to the stress of my credit card, Eloise waking up during the night out of excitement, flight anxiety (not due to flying but worrying about making our flight in time, if I packed everything, etc) and worrying about Eden (don't forget I've never left him for more than 8 hours before!), we made it!
Daddy & Eloise ready for our Disney California Adventure!
Disney California Adventure
We headed straight for Disney California Adventure: despite the heat, from lots of character greetings, rides, dinner with the Princesses, and World of Colour, it was a fantastic day and night!  MissE was most excited to meet Woody & Jesse (from Toy Story) and her favourite ride was Toy Story Midway Mania!  Unfortunately, we didn't get to ride Radiator Springs Racers (in the new Cars Land).  Fastpasses were gone early in the day and 2.5-3 hour wait with a 3 year old is not my idea of a good time.  Luckily, MissE is not that interested in Cars so she didn't mind (although I did!)  Mr.H and I took turns riding the rollercoasters in both parks (California Screamin', Matterhorn Bobsleds, Indiana Jones Adventure) by going as a Single Rider.  The entrance was so secretative but we got on each ride right away.  It was excellent!  She also loved the Disney Junior-Live on Stage! (puppet show with Mickey Mouse Clubhouse & Jake & the Neverland Pirates) and Disney's Aladdin- A Musical Spectacular.  Both were entertaining and best of all, it was so wonderful to sit in A/C!
Eloise & Woody (Toy Story)

Eloise & Jesse (Toy Story)

Ariel's Grotto and World of Color
Before the World of Color (amazing!), we had dinner at Ariel's Grotto: Ariel's Disney Princess Celebration.  MissE picked out not 1 but 2 Princess dresses (Yippee for Costco!) for our Disney adventure.  Tonight, she wore Merida's dress (Brave) minus the very itchy wig.  She was so excited to see the Princesses (Ariel, Snow White, Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty), especially Mulan, although every day a new Princess is her favorite.  Mr.H and I thought the food was pretty darn good and also treated ourselves to cocktails (not driving!).
Eloise & Ariel (The Little Mermaid)
Eloise & Mulan

Dessert: chocolate chip cookies, mini cupcakes, chocolate lava cake
 with a white chocolate Ariel and white chocolate shell filled with fresh berries.
Unfortunately, MissE's "little rest" before the World of Color turned into her sleeping straight through it.  It was a fantastic show!
The World of Color
Being a Princess for the day is hard work!
MissE eventually woke up during our night visit to Cars Land but because she had been up since 5:30am that morning, and it was now 10pm, she lost it!  She gave it the old college try for one more ride but in the end, we called it a day and headed to the hotel for a good nights sleep before Disneyland.
Cars Land at night

Disneyland
Everyone has this photo: at Disneyland Main gate
Where do I even begin?  We had a full day at Disneyland!  We started the morning riding all the rides at Fantasyland from Peter Pan to Dumbo the Flying Elephant to Mad Tea Party.  Funnily enough, I finally went on Snow White's Scary Adventures.  My sister was (is?) petrified of this ride so in 33 years, I had never ridden on it.  MissE did not like it either.  Want an apple? Then we checked out Star Tours- The Adventure Continues.  We were not expecting MissE's reaction!  She flipped out!  I didn't realise that 3D would be so upsetting to her and that it was her first time in a "simulator".  She screamed that she didn't want to go upside down anymore.  Oops.  Space Mountain was definitely out. Thank goodness, promises of Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters and Splash Mountain put a smile on her face.
Dumbo the Flying Elephant
Despite her terrified face, she LOVED it!

She declared Splash Mountain ("where Mama got soaked") as the best ride!  She asked to go again and again.

Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique
This is something I wanted MissE to experience, probably more than she did but in the end, she loved it.  Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique is every little princess' dream come true.  The little princess is given a fairy godmother (or 2) who does her hair and make-up, provides a sprinkle of fairy dust and makes her feel like Cinderella.  I loved watching MissE.  She was amazed by the process (and attention!) and had so much fun!  (Of course, I got suckered into pay for an 'add-on' photo package of MissE on a Cinderella set but it was worth it!)
Pre-Princess Makeover

Eloise with her Fairy Godmothers

My little Cinderella

Where dreams come true...
Princess by Force
A quick note: MissE is not a girly-girl.  She likes her purple and her toe nails painted, but isn't too into dolls, princesses or Barbie.  Pre-Disneyland, I wanted her to get the most out of our trip so we started showing her Disney movies and she started to get to know the princesses and like them!  Post-Disneyland and being princess-by-force, she loves her princesses but has still retained her anti-girly-girl.  She chose a set of princesses as her "present" which she plays with, but ninja-style.  Yes, her princesses fight like ninjas.

Dressed as Cinderella, we visited the Royal Walk to see Princess Tiana (The Princess & the Frog), Princess Ariel (The Little Mermaid) and Princess Belle (The Beauty & the Beast).

Belle: Hi Princess!
MissE: Hi
Belle: I love your dress.  Did you borrow it from Cinderella?
MissE: No.
Belle: Then you and Cinderella must shop at the same place!
MissE: We got this at Costco.

No visit to Disneyland is complete without meeting Mickey Mouse!  She was so excited.  It was one of the best moments, Mickey giving her kisses and her giggling, shyly (I know, MissE shy???) calling him "Silly".

We finished the late afternoon with the classic rides: It's a Small World (love!), Pirates of the Caribbean and Haunted Mansion (my favorite).  Funnily enough, MissE was not at all scared of Haunted Mansion.  Go figure!
It's a Small World
Australia (Nemo & Dory)

Fantasmic! & Fireworks Spectacular
The night ended with a repeat performance by MissE, she slept through Fantasmic! and the fireworks.  I love Fantasmic! and though I've seen it a handful of times, I insist on seeing it every time.  I loved the fireworks over Sleeping Beauty's Castle, it was a magical way to end our 2 days.
Fireworks Spectacular

It was a very brief Disney adventure and we wish we had more time to see SoCal friends, but Mr.E was missing us (and us, him)!

See you real soon, Mickey! (When Eden is old enough to come too!) 

No comments:

Post a Comment