Monday, December 14, 2015

Spooktober 2015

We had a fun Spooktober (October)!  As I usually do, I participate in the Photo a Day challenge.  This year I carried the Spooktober theme through all most of my photos.  I didn’t pressure myself with a photo every day, just when inspiration hit.

A is for apple
B is for Boo!
C is for (undead) cookies
D is for drink (and a Halloween movie)
E is for Eloise as Holly Golightly (Halloween 2012)
F is for facing my fear of clowns (Halloween 2013)

G is for Ghostbuster (Halloween 2012)
H is for hand (err… detached arm)
O is for Ouija (still in the wrapper)
P is for pinks and purple (my Halloween costume)
R is for rats
S is for skulls … glitter ones
T is for Transylvania (UE 2002)
U is for under-estimated… how long it would take to turn myself pink!
V is for Victorian dollhouse (built with no instructions)
W is for World Teacher Day Halloween treats
Extra: W is for "We're all mad here" (I wanted to wear my tights)
Z is for Zombie… as in Plants vs Zombie
MrE had a Halloween party at day-care on the Thursday before Halloween.  He asked early in the month to be the zombie from one of his favourite phone games “Plants vs Zombies”.  Of course, with a few days to go, he changed his mind but too late!  He enjoyed it on the day with a bit of help encouraging the excitement from MissE.

The Main Event: Halloween Day
Yay!  It’s here.  After swim lessons and lunch, we started the long process of getting ready.  It took a longer than I expected to turn myself pink.  In the end with the body paint failing, it was eye shadow that did the trick!  Next was Eloise and then finally we were all ready!

If you don’t know Adventure Time, here’s what they really look like.
Finn, Ice King, Jake, Princess Bubblegum, Marceline
And here's us!

 The Costumes:
MissE and MrE decided what the family would be dressing as months ago so I had plenty of time shop for props via eBAY and make not 1 but 2 Princess Bubblegum dresses and Ice King robes.  I had to make 2 because (1) dance fabric is terrible to work with (b) a double bed- sheet was too small.  The costumes were partially handmade.


Princess Bubblegum – I bought a cheap pink tank that perfectly matched my fabric swatch.  I made the skirt (bit more flattering than her dress on me) and my crown.  I bought cheap wigs from eBAY although I need to work out how to make these look a bit better for the next time we wear them.
Ice King – I bought the hat/ beard from the local pop culture shop.  I made the robe using a King-sized bed sheet from Kmart (cheaper than buying the fabric at a craft store).  MrH styled his nose using leftover felt from another project.
Marceline – Most of this MissE already had in her closet.  I made her red boot covers.
Finn – Again, MrE had most of this.  I was going to make the hat and backpack but I found an Australian stockist for both! 

Lithgow Halloween
After a few photos, we partially undressed again for the drive to Lithgow, NSW (150k from Sydney).  I saw an advertisement for Lithgow Halloween as part of their revitalisation project.  Lithgow was once a mining town and this festival is in their 3rd year now (it started in 2013 with just a trick-o-treat trail).   We are always looking for something new to do so why not?
Lithgow Halloween 2015
The drive wasn’t too bad, an hour and 45 minutes.   MrE decided to have a nap for most of it too!  Unfortunately as we made our way through the valley, it started to rain, not sprinkle but rain.  I had been pre-warned that it can get quite cold here even in the summer so I was prepared.


After re-dressing and holding what props we could in addition to umbrellas, we hit Main Street.  As it was still raining, space was tight under the awnings.  Each store on Main Street decorated their display windows for Halloween.  One of MrE, err, Finn’s favourites was the hair-dressers.  They were dressed as very stylish zombies and “trapped” inside the store.  Marceline liked the lucky dip.  They taunted the children from inside and a few times would surprise them by opening the door!   Most of the stores were also part of the trick-or-treat trail. 
I think this butcher has been overrun?
Yes, I'm going to have to pass.
Slimy lucky dip
We seem to be very popular!  We had fellow attendees wanting photos and screaming out at us.  Smile and wave, boys!  Smile and wave.  I was excited to see so many people dressed up and dressed up well!  As Halloween isn’t that big here, we see a ton of vampires, witches and superheroes.  The mayor looked incredible as Marie Antoinette.
We found BMO!
To the gallows with you!
As night fell, Lithgow took on a new light… 
Light projections on historic buildings
Can someone please unlock the door?
Finn to the rescue!
 The finale of the evening was a theatrical pyro-technic show.  Finn and Marceline loved watching the acrobatics and of course, the flames!





We had a fantastic Halloween night… we can't wait for next year!  We are already planning our costumes… but in the mean time, see you at Oz Comicon as Adventure Time!

No comments:

Post a Comment