Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Bangkok

Shortly after returning home, I was in the skies again – this time Bangkok-bound!  I had another wonderful work opportunity to travel to Bangkok for 2 back-to-back educational courses.  As usual, I was pressed for time but luckily, our commute to the hospital was by boat every morning so I managed to see some sites.  Otherwise, we squeezed in a few things in the evenings after dinners and I had 2.5 hours before heading to the airport.

Bangkok, Thailand
Our hotel in Bangkok was The Peninsula.  I have always wanted to stay at The Peninsula and it exceeded my expectations.  I mean there was a “P” pressed into the toilet paper!   (Eloise on our usual FaceTime while I am travelling was very impressed by the room).  The negative was the lack of time I had to spend leisurely lying around in my room or the pool.  On my last day, I got up at 6am just so I could dip my feet into the pool.
The Peninsula entrance
The Peninsula welcome (too pretty to eat!)

View from my room
Because I can - watching TV from the bathtub
(Reality: resting my weary feet at 11:00 PM)
The Peninsula pool at 6:00 AM
The course Welcome Reception was held at The Peninsula's Paribatra Aviation Lounge.  It was a pretty special place!


Good morning, Bangkok!
Here are a few of things I saw on our morning and afternoon boat rides to and from the course.


Sky Bar
Most famous for being featured heavily in The Hangover II, it was a must visit.  We raced over here one night for a very expensive drink or 2.  It reminded me of my Mai Tai in Monaco.  It was disgusting but I was going to finish the whole thing for the cost of it.  At least these cocktails were tasty.

Unfortunately (or not) I don’t have any photos from here.  I knew about it from a quick search of off-the-beaten-path things to do in Bangkok on limited time on TripAdvisor.  I didn’t know it was one level down from where I was spending most of my working day so I slipped down there during a break.
There are 5 museums on the hospital campus; the most popular are all together: Pathological, Forensics and Parasitology.  It was well-worth the visit but definitely not for the faint-hearted.  Given my studying background, I was still a bit shell-shocked from the very graphic displays (ahem, mummified remains in a glass cabinet). 

Bangkok Flower Market & Pho Wat (Temple of the Reclining Buddha)
I had 2.5 hours to spare before departing for the airport – yippee!  So after breakfast, I headed across the river to jump on the public boat to the Flower Market.  I didn’t get to go to the Weekend Market so this was great for my ‘market’ fix – the hustle and bustle, trying to get through cramped alley ways through the stalls and rolling food vendors.




Squid, anyone?
After the market, I walked to Pho Wat.  I remember visiting here in the past but it was nice to go again.  It was relatively quiet… just HOT.





Good Eats
I was so excited to eat in Bangkok and nowhere was I disappointed.  Here are some of the delicious plates I had:

At Neverending Summer
A refreshing coconut at The Peninsula
Great news: It looks like I will be heading back there again in a few months’ time so will get to further explore… and eat!

No comments:

Post a Comment