Saturday, February 14, 2015

Back track: November and December

Here is the first of a few back-track blog posts.  I slacked BIG TIME at the end of the year and soon you will see why: November and December were non-stop until we had a 13 hour flight to “relax” (as much as you do with a 5 year old and 3 year old in a confined space).  

We tried. (November)
Pre-storm
Our last play date was a wash out as was this one.  It was a storm like no other and unfortunately traumatised Eden.  One minute we were laughing and running through the water, and the next we were hurrying under cover.  Within 30 seconds of getting under an umbrella, the skies opened and the winds blew.  There was no time to get dressed so we wrapped the kids in towels and held on tight.  There was a short break in the rain and we ran for it… but only made it half-way to the next undercover section when the winds were blowing too hard to move and lightning struck.  The only thing we could do was take cover next to the cement toilet block and watch the mini-tornado.  It sure was scary!
 
Taking shelter
Hello Sunshine!
We had amazing weather in November … and some of December, minus the crazy tropical thunderstorms.


Water fight!


Thanksgiving
This year, my work organised a Thanksgiving feast for lunch.  Our café roasted us a turkey with all the sides and a few of us brought in pies to complete the meal.  It was wonderful to make some new American friends, especially finding so many from the Bay Area/ Peninsula.


That evening, we had a family dinner at TGI Fridays.  Don’t laugh but it was pretty darn good – and best of all I did not have to do any cooking or cleaning!
 
This is the "after" photo of Eloise's dinner.
The only thing left were her green beans.
She likes mine better.
MissE (November and December)
MissE hit some big milestones for 5 – receiving her green belt in taekwondo, performing at her first dance concert (with a mini solo too), moving to Level 4 at swimming (laps!) and a BIG one, finishing Kindergarten.
At grading
Yay!  A green belt
Before the dance concert, Eloise with a few of the KH boys
Level 4
CONGRATS!  She (we) made it through Kindy!

Me
Not only did we have a play date, we also had a girls night dinner.  This time we went to Kasbah.  It was a beautiful night to sit outside.  The food and the conversation was good as always!


Melbourne
Melbourne at Night
I spent the last week of November in Melbourne.  My trip was a little topsy-turvy.  Remember way back in 2013, I attended a movie night with The Langham Hospitality Group (yes, the hotels).  I won a night stay at The Langham Melbourne with Club Lounge access.  I finally had the opportunity to redeem my prize but it was before all the hard work!  I invited my lovely co-worker, Ms M, to join me and I didn’t have to twist her arm.
The Langham pink car
Room with a view
My Langham stay was as wonderful as The Langham smells!  Having Club access was the best.  I didn’t have mingle with the riff-raff at all!  Ha,ha.

Afternoon Tea at the Club Lounge overlooking the Yarra River
For our night on the town, we visited “The Croft Institute” this quirky asylum-themed bar located down a graffiti covered alley-way.  We were also able to take in Mockingjay Part 1 at the 12:01am showing.


Inside the Hygiene Department
(women's toilet)
Then it was time to go to work… after a pretty awesome lunch at The Grand Trailer Park Taverna.  I stumbled upon this gem the day before and took my co-workers back with me for burgers and alcoholic-milkshakes (Maker's Mark, salted caramel and bacon).  We were part of its grand opening and the owners modelled it off the American burger culture so we talked burgers.  He treated us waffle ice cream sandwiches too.  Good move on his part as we sent a few groups there over the next few days.  To date (Feb 2015), it's still one of the best burgers I've had in Australia (I can blog about my search for a good burger - these hipster places I have been trying in Sydney are just NOT cutting it). 

Trailer or Non-trailer?
It was a successful symposium and I couldn't be happier that it was done and dusted… until 2015 anyway.

Home Sweet Home
We have been working on a few final touches around our house since we finished Eden's Star Wars bedroom and the laundry room.  Our weekend project for November was adding some tiling inside.
Before

During

After (and my kitchen is neat!)

Next up, it's beginning to look a lot like Christmas!


No comments:

Post a Comment