Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Pimp my Cozy Coupe


Well the good ole boys...



The Dukes of Hazzard were very much part of mine and Mr.H's childhood.  And it inspired our "Pimp My Cozy Coupe".  I saw a few up-cycled Little Tykes Cozy Coupes making the Pinterest rounds and they were so cute! The only problem: we didn't have a Cozy Coupe.  I never shelled out the $100+ to purchase one and I checked out a few trade ads for used ones, but still $40+!  A friend of mine snatched one up when she saw a woman throwing it out in the garbage and turned it into a Batmobile.  I should only be so lucky!

Well... my luck changed.  We took a detour on our way home from cousin D’s birthday and I spied with my little eyes, a pre-loved Cozy Coupe on the side of the road.  I had to talk Mr.H into turning around for it! 
 
Someone else's trash...


Step 1: Detailing
The coupe was clearly pre-loved and water-logged.  After a hosing-down, sugar soap and a shake (to remove the water), it was road-worthy.  Mr.E couldn’t resist taking it for a spin.

Step 2: a trip to our local hardware store, Bunnings, for paint.  And some face-painting while we were there too.




Step 3: Painting
We wrapped the wheels and I, ingeniously, used a disposable shower cap to cover the steering wheel (okay not that genious but I thought I was clever) to prevent the spray paint from painting that.  I also thought it would be easier to paint on the plastic as-is for the flag on the top of the car, so we taped down an A4 piece of paper to the top.



Spray Paint: Dulux Volcanic Orange
Enamel paint (water-based) in Gloss White, Gloss Black, Royal Blue and Cherry Red.

More painting
After it was dry, I started work on the number 01 on the sides of the car and the flag on the top.  This was easy!  Finding the time to paint it was not!



For the pattern, I simply Googled the images and printed them out on regular paper.  I created a stencil from my print-out and pencilled (dry erase pen) it in first, then went over it slowly with the enamel paint.

Stripes done!
The stars were more difficult.  The paint leaked or the stencil stuck!  I ended up using a very itty bitty paint brush to touch up the stars.
 
Stencilling in the stars

The final step was the “General Lee” at the bottom of the flag.  I was really at a lost on how I was going to do this… then one day, I was looking through my nail polish and found my Sally Hansen Nail Art pens.  I wish I remembered I had these when I was painting those stars!  They were anything but lucky.  I easily wrote out General Lee with no mess and finally, someone else’s trash is our GENERAL LEE!

My lifesaver!  Sally Hansen Nail Art Pen



YEEE- HAAAAW!  Bo is all set to put Hogg out of business in Hazzard County.


* Note: I preferred a richer colour so I did 2 paint layers which meant it the car was not done in one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment