Saturday, December 1, 2012

November: The Good, the Bad and the Turkey


"Inventors" school portrait 

The Bad: Throttling Three's... again.
Okay.  Seriously.  Am I being punished?
I don't get it.  We have a great week... dare I say it, 2 weeks even, then BAM!  Back to throttling three behaviour again.  I am so sick of being pushed to my limits.  I am beginning to think that part-time is not enough!  Bring on the Monday to Friday, 9-5pm!  We started a good behaviour chart to match the one MissE has at school; she has had only a handful of stickers for over 4 weeks now.  Also, my guest room closet is now full of toys to be donated to little girl's who listen and MissE's playroom is growing sparse.
*Note: I'm not going to donate them, as she behaves, her toys make reappearances.  It sounds cruel, but it works.

This month I learned that little girls can be mean.  I look at the mamas' of boys in my Mothers' Group turned Play Group and their boys, while rambunctious, plant random kisses and bear hugs on them.  Or shout a spontaneous "I love you so much, mama".  Sigh.  Don't take it personally, right?  Easier to tell myself than to believe it.

Let's Just Agree to Disagree
Another 3.5 year old hurdle, the constant arguing, even when there is nothing to argue about.  Here's a few examples:
Me: This is a new Doc McStuffins'
MissE: No, it's not.
Me: Have you seen it before?
MissE: No but it's not new.

Me: I'm glad you had a nap today.MissE: No, I didn't have a nap!
Me: You just woke up and came out of your room.  What have you been doing for 2 hours?
MissE: I didn't nap.  I rested with my eyes closed.
Me: Uh-huh.  And snored too.

Me: Oh dear.  There is no parking.
MissE: Yes, there is.
Me: Where?
MissE: There is!
Me: Can you see a spot to park?
MissE: No.
Me: Then is there any parking?
MissE: No.

The Good
Okay, enough negative!  We've had some fun this month, beginning with a fabulous Girl's Night Out: MissE and I saw Pixar in Concert at the Sydney Opera House, walked around the scenic Circular Quay, and finished the night off with ice cream.






The concert was fantastic.  The Sydney Symphony  Orchestra played while montages from Pixar movies showed on a large screen.  Embarrassingly, I teared up not once but twice!  First with Up, that 5 minute Carl & Ellie montage (if you haven't seen it, click here), then with the finale piece of Toy Story 3, Andy passing on his toys to Bonnie.  MissE was very good and needed only a few reminders to sit quiet and still during the performance.  Her favorite was the Toy Story and Brave montages.

Optus Family Day at Taronga Zoo
One tick off my bucket list: feeding a giraffe.

We had a wonderful day at the zoo.  Sydney Transport has an excellent Family Fun Day Sunday deal, $2.50 per person (4 and up) to ride public transportation all day!   So we arrived at Taronga Zoo the best way, via ferry.  It was Eden's first boat ride, and MissE is a seasoned boater now.  Eden loved watching the gorillas and the ice cream (he kept taking mine out of my hand!).  MissE loved getting up close to the giraffe.  They also had a very cool Dinosaurs in the Wild Exhibition with life-size and life-like (growling and moving parts!) dinosaurs. 
Dino Seeking Loving Adoptive Parents



Eden watching the gorillas
Getting ready to feed the giraffe
Meeting Jimiyu






Diwali
MissE learned about Diwali.  One of the lovely teachers, Miss R, did henna on all the girls' hands.  MissE especially enjoyed this.  I also showed her photos of when I went to India and had henna done.


Eden
"Explorers" School Portrait

Eden is now 16 months.  He is so much fun!  He loves being chased, giggling like crazy.  He is a typical boy and climbs anything and everything he can.  He loves going "ide" (outside) to play in the sand pit.
Cheeky Monkey heard the garage door and thought he would check who it was

These boots (Eloise's) are made for walking

Mmm, yeah, I'm going to have to go ahead and ask you to come in on Sunday

He has adjusted to daycare now and has a lot of fun there (but still attached to me when we get home). 

He has a few new words: Spot (his dog toy), banana, bot-bot (bum), done, this, cheese, nai-nai (milk in Cantonese), jo-jo (jello).  He is a little parrot.  One day, in the car with daddy, daddy honked the horn.  He then spent the rest of the day saying "beep beep!".


MissE Says the Darnedest Things
Daddy: do you like your new school?
MissE: yes!
Daddy: what do you like about it?
MissE: my teacher, there are lots of toys to play with, and poppies.
Me: Poppies?
MissE: Yes, poppies to remember the soldiers who climbed the mountain to fight the bad guys.

Me: That's not being a princess. (MissE is walking around with her skirt up, revealing her undies)
MissE: I am a princess!
Me: Princess' don't do that.
MissE: It doesn't matter, I AM a princess!
Me: Who told you were a princess?
MissE: Daddy.
Me: Of course he did.

MissE: (Playing a toy guitar while Eden plays a toy drum) KNOCK IT OFF!
Daddy: What does that mean?
MissE: Play LOUDER.
Ha, ha. 

Thanksgiving
Gobble, gobble!  It's Turkey time!  We had a small dinner party on the Saturday, following American Thanksgiving.  Thanks to our recent trip, I came back armed with Stove Top stuffing and French's Fried Onions to make our dinner complete.

The Little Turkeys' place-setting: Pilgrim hats full of Crayons and a copycat PBK ship for treats

Gobble, gobble: Pumpkin Spice RCT turkeys
Eden likes the Thanksgiving menu

Homesick
MissE seems to be homesick for her second home, Pau-Pau's.  In the last few weeks, she asks when we will go to American again and says how she misses Pau-Pau and Gung-Gung, and Miranda.  She also tells me how she misses Chevy's, Taco Bell, and Target.  So do I, Eloise.  So do I.

Until next time... Christmas!

*Small end note:  I am officially annoyed at Blogger!  I want to keep bringing you monthly stories of life Down Under but I've reached my photo storage limit.  Grr!  I am working out the best way to keep sharing photos with you at the smallest cost.
** Sorry to those who viewed the blog with photos missing.  I have hopefully fixed the issue!




1 comment:

  1. I love that you brought back Stove top and fried onions. Thanksgiving is all about the sides. So glad you could celebrate it.

    ReplyDelete