Tuesday, December 14, 2010

U2 360 Tour

The last concert I went to (and I can't believe I am actually admitting this) was the Justified/ Stripped Tour (Justin Timberlake/ Christina Aguilera) in 2003.  I was thrilled to get tickets to U2 this time, especially since their special guest is Jay-Z.  It was a toss-up as to who I was more excited to see.

Jay-Z, unfortunately, was under-appreciated by most of the crowd.  Not surprisingly since I overheard on the train "Is it Jay-Zed?" (Ugh, Australian's and "zed".  It's "Z"!) "Or is it Jay and Z?" "Who are they?"  Eyes rolling.  The audience did get grooving for "Empire State of Mind" and "Numb/ Encore, but just stood there for  "99 Problems" and "Young Forever" dedicated to  Pimp C (the crowd was dead silent... who???), Tupac and Notorious B.I.G.  *Sigh*  How much do I miss the Bay Area?!



It was a long hour wait for the main event: U2... tick tock tick tock.

I had heard U2 weren't great live, but I thought they were!  What I love about U2 is that there is large age-range of fans with a grandma and grandpa grooving next to me.  The 360 Tour space-shuttle set was pretty spectacular and proved to be not just a screen.


Mysterious Ways (dedicated to Nicole Kidman)

Elevation

Not a bad view from where we're standing

The space shuttle beginning its transformation

Highlights: Sunday Bloody Sunday/ Get Up Stand Up Mash-up with Jay-Z returning to the stage.  And a moving dedication to Michael Hutchence (INXS) of Stuck in the Moment/ Devil Inside/ Never Tear Us Apart.  I actually hadn't heard Stuck in a Moment in a while, it's not one of my favourites but last night, maybe it was because it was my last day at work... maybe it was the acoustic version, I actually listened to the lyrics and was standing in the midst of 80,000 people with tears running down my face.

And you are such a fool
To worry like you do
I know it's tough
And you can never get enough
Of what you don't really need now
My, oh my

You've got to get yourself together
You've got stuck in a moment
And you can't get out of it

Oh love, look at you now
You've got yourself stuck in a moment
And you can't get out of it

I was unconscious, half asleep
The water is warm 'til you discover how deep

I wasn't jumping, for me it was a fall
It's a long way down to nothing at all

You've got to get yourself together
You've got stuck in a moment
And you can't get out of it

Don't say that later will be better
Now you're stuck in a moment
And you can't get out of it

Well, I am pretty sure I got myself out of the moment I was stuck in (See 'Just call me Petra Pan').  Since when did I become so emotional???

To be a fly on the wall in the green room!  The concert was the place to be in Sydney last night with Oprah, Jay-Z and Beyonce, Kanye West, Nicole Kidman, and Bob Geldof in the stadium!

No comments:

Post a Comment